The Craig County Sheriff’s Office will train, equip and deploy volunteer deputies sufficient to meet the response needs of the sheriff’s office. These reserve deputies will adhere to, and be accountable for all sheriff’s office policies, rules and regulations, standard operating procedures, and local, state and federal laws.
Reserve deputies functioning in an official capacity will be under the direction and charge of Sheriff Heath Winfrey and will subordinate themselves to the supervision of the sheriff’s office during their employment.
A reserve officer’s requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Successfully complete an application;
- Be 21-years old;
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States;
- Have a high school diploma or GED;
- Successfully pass a drug screening examination;
- Take/pass the MMPI psychological examination prior to being commissioned;
- Meet the standard’s of the Craig County Sheriff’s Office weapon proficiency;
- Pass a preliminary background check; and
- Meet identity requirements as required by federal law.
Those previously certified by CLEET as full-time or reserve law enforcement officers in the state of Oklahoma or certified by another state and meeting the CLEET criteria for reciprocity and meeting the selection criteria above, may directly petition the sheriff for acceptance into the reserve program. Those applicants must:
- Complete an application;
- Pass a preliminary background check;
- Attend remedial or informational training classes if required; and
- Meet the standard’s of the Craig County Sheriff’s Office weapon proficiency.
Once accepted into the program, applicants must complete the Reserve Law Enforcement Training Academy prescribed by CLEET consisting of 240 hours before receiving a commission card from the sheriff.
Note: CLEET officials may waive training and will determine the acceptability of any applicant who has previously been certified by the State of Oklahoma as a reserve officer or as a law enforcement officer. CLEET officials will also determine if further training requirements are necessary for the applicant.
Standards set by CLEET concerning training required subsequent to certification must be met by all active reserve deputies.
For more information, persons interested in applying for the program may email firstname.lastname@example.org.